Monday, June 29, 2015

A little about me...

I was never the best student growing up. I always got okay grades, but I was more interested in having fun then worrying about school. The irony in my choices is that I always wanted to be a teacher. I have been teaching for 10 years and I could not imagine doing anything else.
I grew up in Coventry and graduated from Coventry High School in 1999. From HS, I went to the Community College of Rhode Island and later transferred to Rhode Island College. In 2004, I graduated with a B.A in English. Directly after graduating from RIC, I went through the teacher certification program at Providence College and received my certificate in Secondary Education/Middle School English. I am currently working on my Masters degree in English as a Second Language and will be officially done this summer.
For my 1st teaching job, I took a job at the Hillside Alternative Program in Woonsocket (not really knowing what I was getting into). I truly believe that I gained ALL my patience and “bag of tricks” in behavior management from teaching there. After that experience, I subbed and taught in a few districts however, being that I was always at the bottom of the seniority list, I was always the first to be let go… and the cycle continued.
I am currently entering my 7th year at Woonsocket Middle School. For 3 years, I have been teaching 7th grade ESL (and I love it). I taught 7th and 8th grade English. My other “specialties” include the WMS yearbook of which I have done for the past 5 years.

In my free time, I am a competitive cheerleading coach. I have been coaching for 12 years for various high schools and all-star teams in the state. For the past 5 years, I have been the head coach at North Smithfield high school. If I don’t already do enough, I am the mom of two girls, Madison and Makayla. Madison is 4 years old and Makayla is 11 months old.  I am married to my husband Brian. We have been married for almost 3 years. We live in my husbands hometown of Pawtucket, with hopes of buying our first home in the next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment